Sunday, February 13, 2011

Just Go With It

Today I saw the new movie "Just Go With It".  It was a witty and entertaining movie with a great moral, never, never lie.  Lies just lead to more lies and the more lies there are the harder it is to cover them up, and the harder it is to cover them up the more complicated the original lie gets.  So a small untruth may become a huge debacle in the end.  Now I am the parent of a 17 year old son, so I know a thing or two about lies.  The thing is, you don't have to know everything or even pretend to know it.  Your customers will respect you more if you just come clean and tell them that you need to do some research to be sure that you have the exact right answer to their questions.  Honesty, its the only way. 

I let my customers know if I don't know the answer to their question, I just think it only makes good sense.  For example, this past week I put up some new Business Facebook pages for clients.  Well in the middle of doing that, Facebook applied their newest profile application to Business pages and everything that I did with the clients and the entire look of the pages changed.  I had to fess up that I worked with the changes on personal pages, but the Business pages have some new features that I knew were coming but I just did not have them all memorized just yet.  I don't candy-coat, I usually tell it like it is.  So while I could have pretended to know what I was doing, to me that would have been deceiving to my clients, instead I just confessed that I needed to look up some of the changes and get back to them as to how the new functionality was going to effect them.

Honesty and respect go hand-in-hand.  Integrity is the result of honesty + respect, and let's face it we all want to be considered as a person of Integrity.  

My teenager, now that's a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment